Sunday, April 26, 2009

Buying a viola?

Hey :)


I currently hire my viola from the local music service who I also get my music lessons from. But because I'll be going to university soon I thought I'd buy a viola so I can continue playing (for sheer enjoyment)





I can either buy the hired viola I use at the moment (they'd throw in a better case and bow too which I desperately need) but I reckon it needs some better strings putting on.





Or do I buy a new one for around the same price (so I'm not having to compromise and actually have something new and that's my own for a change)


If I buy a new one, I'm thinking of the Stentor Conservatoire model.





Any thoughts?


:)

Buying a viola?
Only buy your viola from a violin shop so that it is set up correctly. Do NOT buy it from ebay or a general music shop.





I would not buy a second hand viola unless you know a lot about violas and what to look for in the way of defects. ( I am not referring to the rental instrument you are using now ; you know that one is okay)





The Stentnor Conservatoire violas and violins are pretty good value for money. I would check what strings they have on it. Good viola strings can be quite expensive ($70 for a set of Dominants) ; maybe you can get a violin shop to put on the strings of your choice if you bought it.





What sort of viola are you renting and how much are they asking for it ? It could be a good buy if you like it ; with a better case and bow it sounds like it is worth considering.
Reply:There are a few advantages to buying a used viola, price being one of the obvious ones.





Wood mellows as it ages, so an older instrument will generally have much better tone.





Strings you can get fairly inexpensively, plus you can choose exactly what you like, and have it set up the way you want. Same with bowstrings.





If you have the cash, and really like playing, then getting a new instrument is nice. I play guitar, and while I love my '67 Gibson ES125 (semi-hollow body - with f-holes like viola), I also like a lot of newer guitars as well.





Otherwise hit up some music stores, pawnshops, etc., look online (be careful for scams), and see what you can find!

business hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment