Monday, November 16, 2009

A question about Twelfth Night (Olivia and Viola)?

Viola and Olivia have the same letters in the name, only arranged differently. I forget what you call this (an anagram?). Why does Shakespeare do this? They are not the only female characters, and although they are "linked" in a way, that could be said to many others. Even if they were main characters, which I believe them to be...why would he make their names like that?





I'm wondering chiefly because I'm thinking about writing an essay on the similarities and differences between Viola and Olivia, and if Shakespeare wanted us to see some sort of similarity or connection too.





Can it be done?

A question about Twelfth Night (Olivia and Viola)?
Well you can definitely say that there are similarities and differences between Viola and Olivia. I'm not sure about their names being complete anagrams of one another, but I do say that the parallel of their names is probably no mistake. They are definitely set as "foils" (contrasting characters when set side-by-side in comparison)

fresh fruit baskets

No comments:

Post a Comment